8.29.2007

finally met him.


it wasn't the same ol' run to the neighborhood grocery store.

this time was different. this time i was buying all fruit, thanks to a few helpful hints on the internet and in a few cosmo magazines letting me know how to taste just a little bit sweeter. not that the juices that flow from within aren't already sweet. just wanna be able to offer a full meal to this who choose to bypass the real dessert. feel me?

i had on a pair of college sweatpants, a wifebeater so the tattoo i like the most would show and my favorite pair of timberland boots. i wasn't dressed to impress nobody except the not-so-attractive cashier who swipes the card for me when i'm unable to provide mine. truth is, i don't have one.

at some point, between picking up the 5 cans of sliced, diced, and mashed pineapples, something caught my attention. not really something, but someone.

the heart begins to beat extra fast, or really slow. you never can tell in these moments. the eyelids get a little lower than usual and the breathing stops all together at this point, and you just feel empty. like everything you've done up to this point was for nothing.

in his basket was everything i hoped we'd be eating tonight.
fuck the fruit i was about to buy.

i made a few rounds through the aisles waiting until i saw that butter pecan tan man with the bald head and eyes of god wander to a line so I could get behind him and say a few 'hallelujahs' in my head.

'you can get in front of me if that's all you're going to buy' he said with a smile.

so after the pool and when the shower water stopped, i let him step out first to repay the favor.

last night i finally met him.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

damn...

I want to meet him too!